It is known as humans we tend to focus on, and are motivated to have a priority of preference to come from one of three dimensions when we make a decision including:
- The Past
- The Present
- The Future
The danger of basing any decision on any one of these areas is that things can get missed.
The dangers of one-dimensional decisions
For example, if you make decisions and only look at how that may affect the future then you will miss looking at the “Past” and the “Present”. You could be missing lessons from the past that could help you with the decisions and/or miss how this decision will impact the present.
Being highly future focused I have a reminder of Past Present Future on a wall in my office.
When making decisions I consciously refer to this and only the other day I used the below framework. As I was mapping out a new “Whole-Self Leaders” event for 2020, I reminded myself not to just jump in (future focused) and base my thoughts and plan on all 3 areas.
Questions I ask myself when making a decision:
- What have I done or experienced that I could learn from or use to help with this decision?
- What materials, IP, workshop content and ideas have I run before that I could incorporate?
- How will this decision affect me and others around me right now?
- What time can I allocate to this?
- What will I have to give up to make time to do this?
- How will this impact my future?
- What will this contribute to the world and my clients?
- How is this aligned to my brand?
- Is this really what is next?
If a colleague always refers to the past “When we did that before….” always incorporate questions around the impact of the “present” and the “future”.
Lead to be Limitless
If this article has resonated with you in any way – I’d love to hear your thoughts – get in touch. . Being in service to my clients is why I do what I do and your feedback, insight and any suggestions are always embraced.
Find out where you sit on the Leadership Ladder, your responses are anonymous and the results summarised to help us better understand where our market sits, so that we can continue to provide, insights, tools and solutions to assist you move up to be LIMITLESS, co-creative and stand out.